Obereggen 40 Years - 1:59 sec
A success lasting 45 years
Summer 1970: Eleven young and daring men founded the Obereggen Ski Lift Association and went door-to-door during their time off to collect initial capital for the creation of a new ski area. The ski area will create jobs, so they promised, and the majestic Latemar will become the attraction in the region. Many people agreed with the young men, but others just shook their head. A ski area, in Obereggen of all places? In this secluse, sleepy village with only one 20-bed guest house? Get real!
45 years later: welcome to the Latemar Ski Center, a dream come true. Slopes as far as the eye can see (48 km), 18 state-of-the-art lift facilities, countless ski huts and plenty of sun, to boot. It has become a model tourism resort and is a member of the ‘Pearls of the Alps’. The project of the 11 ski pioneers became a ski resort which, over the years, has constantly been commended by a raft of independent bodies for its best groomed slopes. There’s no other award a ski area could wish for more! It also speaks volumes that every year, at the start of the skiing season, Obereggen hosts the most traditional European Skiing Race in the world, with an annual turnout at the starting line which makes all other European Cups green with envy.
45 years in which Obereggen was always ahead of time. Its innovative solutions include the ever first connection to the Pampeago ski resort during the mid-70s, the big splash made at the start of the 80s by testing snow making machines when artificial snow was barely a concept, and the construction of the new Maierl slope a couple of years ago. Today, Obereggen counts as one of the most beloved ski areas in the whole region.
The Milestones of the Obereggen Ski Region
- 1970 Eleven young men from the Eggen/Ega Valley found the Obereggen AG (stock Company). In the 1972-1973 winter season, the first ski lifts – the "Eben" and the double-seat chairlift "Oberholz" – are put into operation.
- 1975 Obereggen together with Pampeago and Predazzo and their four new ski lifts form the Ski Center Latemar, and the region joins the Dolomiti Superski Ski Association.
- 1982 The first snow machine with water storage begins operation. Since 1989, it has been possible to provide all of the slopes with artificial snow.
Italy's first automatic four-seat chairlift starts operation, replacing the "Absam-Maierl" double-seat chairlift. Today, an automatic six-seat chairlift is in use.
- 1987 The "Obereggen" – Italy's first fixed-clamp four-seat chairlift with passenger conveyor belt – starts operation.
- 1997 At the valley station in Obereggen, a new building is constructed. The "Bar-Pizzeria Platzl" and the "Tipi" après ski bar open their doors to the public.
- 2000 With the completion of the new "Ochsenweide" gondola-type aerial tram, it is now possible to enjoy nighttime skiing and nighttime tobogganing with flood lights.
- 2007 A bio-mass thermal power plant for Obereggen begins operation, helping to save 500,000 liters of heating oil per year. (The "Obereggen AG" has had environmental certification in accordance with ISO – Norm 14001 since 2004.)
- 2009 The natural tobogganing course is expanded and equipped with a snow thrower.
The Obereggen Valley Station was expanded by another 1,000 square meters to host the ski rental, ski storeroom, ski and snowboard school, "Monny" sports equipment shop, competitions office and first aid.
On the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Obereggen company, a book by the journalist Christian Pfeifer was published. The book (only in german) is available at Val d'Ega tourist offices or can be downloaded in PDF format.
- Obereggen Buch.pdf4.8 M